Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Flash fiction: All bets are off

The prompt was to write a humorous 200 word story (or less) that involved invisible ink. Enjoy!





“Finally! I told you I’d win a bet eventually, Colin.”

“Yes, yes you did.” Colin reluctantly pulled out his checkbook.  “How much do I owe you?”
“Five-hundred dollars and thirty two cents,” Walter replied, not even trying to subdue the smug grin that stretched across his face.

“Really, Wally, that much money for holding your breath the longest?”

“Don’t try and guilt-trip me out of this. I won the money fair and square!”

“Yes, I know. Do you have a pen?” Colin reached out and took the pen that Walter offered, sighing as scrawled the amount on the check. He placed the nib on the signature line, then paused. “Oh dear, Wally, it appears as though your pen has run out of ink! Luckily, I seem to have one in my pocket.”

Wally laughed nervously. “Yes, that’s lucky, isn’t it? As long as you aren’t trying to cheat me out of the money using disappearing ink or something.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Colin replied, signing his name. “It’s been fun,” he said, sliding the check to Walter and walking away.

Walter held up the check to the light, squinting at it. Satisfied, he grinned as he pocketed the check, not noticing the signature fading away...

No comments:

Post a Comment